Minister of Education, the Hon. Jeffrey Lloyd, on Friday, January 19th, 2018, announced the appointment of and introduced to the Ministry of Education’s staff, a new executive team at the Ministry and Department of Education.
The Department is now led by Mr. Marcellus Taylor; Acting Director. His new team comprises:
- Mrs. Eulease Beneby, Acting Deputy Director, School Management and Registration;
- Ms. Sharon Poitier, Acting Deputy Director, Curriculum; and
- Mr. Julian Anderson, Acting Deputy Director, Technology, and Innovation.
The Ministry’s new team remains headed by Permanent Secretary, Mrs. Donnella Bodie, who is now joined by:
- Mr. Reginald Saunders, Under Secretary, General Administration and the Scholarship and Educational Loan Division;
- Ms. Serethea Clarke, Acting Under Secretary, Human Resources, and Examination & Assessment Division;
- Ms. Isla A. Deane, Deputy Permanent Secretary, General Administration;
- Mr. Donovan Turnquest, Acting Deputy Permanent Secretary, General Administration and Understudy for the Physical Plant Division; and
- Ms. Joan Darling, Financial Controller.
Minister Lloyd presented to the new team during a series of staff meetings last Friday at the Ministry’s Headquarters on University Blvd, New Providence, advising his audience that,“ while change is often regarded as something negative, in this fast-paced, fast-moving world, if you’re not growing, you’re going backward.”
During the meetings, Minister Lloyd advised the new leadership team that the people of The Bahamas, through its Government, insists on an ambitious transformation agenda for the education system and that the team must be aggressive in pursuing that agenda, ensuring that they “bear fruit in the shortest possible time”.
Education reform is high on the list of priorities enunciated by Prime Minister Hubert Minnis upon coming to office on May 12, 2017. In an address to Parliament, the Prime Minister laid out the FNM Governments comprehensive vision for a 21st Century Bahamas, which included, among other plans, “ education, healthcare, housing, child, youth and community development.”
Minister Lloyd also thanked former members of the education team, including former Director of Education Mr. Lionel Sands, a 47-year old veteran educator, now at the Ministry of Labor, and former Deputy Director, Mr. Joel Lewis,30-year education veteran, now with the Department of Local Government.