The Public Hospitals Authority is aware of news reports circulating concerning the alleged treatment of clients at the Maternity Ward, Princess Margaret Hospital. The PHA wishes to advise that the Authority takes very seriously all matters concerning the delivery of healthcare to our obstetric clients and their newborns. The public is advised that the PHA subscribes to the following Standard Operating Procedures related to ‘poor care or neglect’:
- Any form of insubordination, patient mismanagement, or lack of following proper STANDARDS OF CARE will NOT be tolerated.
- At the time of the initial discovery of a bad outcome, an initial counseling session with the client must be conducted by the physician team.
- A second more formal counseling session may occur, if necessary, conducted by a Senior Physician or Consultant with the client and family members.
- All staff working in the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department will implicitly abide by the rules and laws of the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department as well as the rules and laws of the PHA/PMH.
- Employees who fail in their duty to clients or breach policy will face swift punitive action as guided by the PHA/PMH/HR Disciplinary Procedures.
The PHA has also implemented an internal inquiry process to identify deficiencies in the delivery of care to our clients, including the overall management of the Maternity Ward and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The PHA encourages the public to report concerns regarding services at Princess Margaret Hospital on our client feedback line at 242-825-3438. The PHA is committed to working together with all stakeholders to provide quality healthcare to the clients and communities we serve.