The Disease and Surveillance team at the Ministry of Health and Wellness is continuing to monitor the global impact of COVID-19 with more recent focus now on the variant BA.2, a sub-variant of the Omicron strain. The highly transmissible sub-variant has been cited for rising cases of COVID- 19 in parts of Europe and Asia. The Ministry’s Surveillance team remains vigilant for any emerging trends at our borders.
Currently, The Bahamas is experiencing a significant decrease in COVID-19 cases across our islands. As the nation continues to enjoy a relaxation of the protocols, the public is reminded that the best ways to limit the spread of COVID-19 are to consistently and responsibly follow these preventative measures:
- Get vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19
- Wash your hands properly with soap and water
- Use alcohol based hand sanitizers
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Wear well fitting masks or face coverings properly
- Keep a physical distance of three feet from others
- Clean and disinfect surfaces regularly
- Stay home if you are sick
- Get tested to confirm your status
The public is reminded that they can book their free COVID-19 test at http://www.covidtest.gov.bs. Persons wishing to get vaccinated or receive their booster shots can register online at http://www.vax.gov.bs .